Saturated with honesty and raw emotion, 5-piece Melbourne easycore band This Space is Ours return with their sophomore single My Name. Marked by singalong power-packed hooks, sharp drums and electrifying guitars, the result is nothing short of dynamic.
“I wrote the lyrics about the frustrations of being perceived as fragile when you have actually been through a lot and survived it. Particularly when dating, I found people would say things such as, “I don’t want to break your heart” and I would find myself thinking, “I’m fine and you’re not that important.”
Gemma, This Space is Ours.
Leaping for the jugular, My Name is a thrilling showcase of a band that works in harmony and plays to their strengths. Consisting of band members Gemma Dunsmore (vocals), Mark Sterner (lead guitar), Sam Pratt (rhythm guitar), Harry Wingrove (bass guitar), and Van Marks (drums) they pull aural influences from iconic front-runners Paramore, Turnstile and closer to home with The Dead Love, Waxflower and Slowly Slowly.
To accompany the release, The Space Is Ours have also compiled a special list of their Five Favourite Spaces To Hang Out As A Band for HEAVY.
Find out for yourself below.
- Gemma and Van are housemates in a little rental house in Clayton and that is definitely our main meeting place for any discussions, quick band practices or just to hang out.
- Bayside Rehearsal Studio in Seaford for whenever we need more of a professional setting with better equipment and sound. For example, we’d got here when filming a video of our band practice for social media.
- All of our diets unfortunately consist of fast food, so we tend to frequent whichever pizza place or McDonald’s is closest to the venue we’re playing at. (separate these into two answers if the last one is too silly)
- Wherever we can play our music. Usually around the inner suburbs of Melbourne, venues we tend to frequent are Bendigo Hotel, Whole Lotta Love Bar and Bad Decisions Bar.
- The dark side of the moon to gain some inspiration for our songs and music videos. (if too silly, change ‘dark side of the moon’ to ‘any comfy couch where you can watch a movie or read a book’